Bon à savoir
Every year, because of the pilgrimage of August 15th, many worshipers come from a lot of different parish to the Chapel of Pigneux.
The Chapel of Pigneux is not far from Saint-Genix-sur-Guiers, a village through which the way of Saint James (Chemin de compostelle) runs. That's why many pilgrims are used to go to the chapel.
It is said that this oratory was dedicated to Notre Dame of Pigneux - also called Notre dame du gage - in appreciation of a victory against Saracens.
There are several hypotheses about the chapel's origins; although, none of them has been confirmed.
Some people think that the construction of the chapel may be linked with the battle against Moors in the 8th century. According to other people, it could be linked with a conflict that opposed Saint-Genix-sur -Guiers to the lord of la Tour-du-Pin in the 13th century. A third hypothesis suggests that religious conflicts in the 16th century might be at the origin of the chapel. It refers to the conflict between Lesdiguières and the troops from Savoie fighting on behalf of marquis of Treffort.
The Chapel, falling into ruins in 1792, was restored by Monseigneur le chanoine Blanc, parish priest in Saint-Genix-sur-Guiers. The Chapel of Pigneux was rebuilt and extended in 1875.
Actually, no matter the legend you hear about or remember, we can say that this chapel has known a great success that encourages the bishop from Belley to appoint a chaplain in the 16th century. Several chaplains succeeded him until 1788, date of the death of the last chaplain.
In 2001, the Chapel of Pigneux was totally renovated.
Throughout the year : open daily.